Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Latest Trend


Where do I begin? I guess I should start with the most obvious. . . .why the naked baby? Well, to put it simply Rivers has had one rough weekend. He woke up Saturday morning, with a bad case of diarreah. Now, any one with a baby in a diaper suffering from diarreah, quickly learns, that the diarreah is the least of your worries, the rash that forms within seconds is the most painful part of the whole sickness. Rivers diaper rash was insane. So painful that he's been unable to sit down in his high chair to eat -so  he stands on his red stool to reach up (where Canberra can't :) and snack on the BRAT diet. It hurts to much to sit in his car seat to drive - so we've been on house arrest the past few day. And Rivers and I stayed home from church, because the poor little boy could not stop crying. Anyways, the last few days have been rough for my little friend.
So I spoke to Dr. T. (my dad). And decided to share this simple trick with mama's who don't already know it. He said the most effective way to cure a nasty bum rash is 1- don't use wipes. Every time they wet or solid a diaper, take the diaper off immediately and wash baby in the sink - trying not to use any soap or wash cloth. 2- Let them air out. Naked for a minimum of 10 minutes. 3- Apply Bag Balm or Butt Paste (have this on hand for emergencies!) to the rash and diaper them back up.
Well, I found myself changing diapers so freaquently (poor little guy, being sick and all) that I decided, to just keep them off altogether. Smother Rivers in sunscreen, and spend the days outside doing art, playing fetch with Canberra, chasing bubbles, swimming in the pool, playing trucks, and gardening. When he poops, well, I hose him off. And his bum is healing marvelously. It's still a little sore, but the end is in sight.

And now for the monkey. Last week, when we went to visit Monica, I forgot Rivers' stroller. So Rivs spent the day with his monkey backpack strapped to him (and of course his ball cap on). Ever since that afternoon with his monkey and ball cap as a constant, Rivers has been obsessed. If he sees either one, any other place but on him he grabs it and comes running to me yelling, begging me to please put these on him (although he's getting pretty good at putting his hat on by himself). He wears these during story time, dinner time, and even naked baby time.
Whenever I see Rivs running around with his monkey backpack I always start singing that song by the Moldy Peaches "Anyone Else, But You." So in recognition of little Rivs, here's a song to groove to this afternoon. Love you kid.

2 comments:

Tammy August 17, 2011 at 12:14 AM  

Love it Melanie! Love it! Mason had one of those monkey backpacks, but he didn't like it. Emma had the same thing. The Bag Balm is the best stuff ever. So much better than even butt paste. And it comes in a really cute container. We're in the same boat. But it's way too hot to let Emma got naked. She would get dehydrated. I just love little Rivers. Tickets to Co. are only 23.99 and I'm tempted.

Trent, Natalie and Jantz August 22, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

Those diaper rashes are NOT fun. Little Rivers is getting TOO big. =D We have had the same problem with diaper rashes . . . Pink swizzle has been our best friend during those weeks!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP