around the corner
Hints are dropping like flies around here: Mailers announcing "Someone Special is Turning One." Cousin Lewis' first birthday celebration has come and gone. Amazon Toy suggestions "for 1+" are landing in my inbox. And my little boy's daily advances are not helping to minimize the hints.
I've got to say, baby's first birthday is the essence of bitter-sweet. I am so excited for him. As I shop for toys I realize my wish list for Rivers far outnumbers any wish list I have ever made of my own. I love planning his cake. Preparing the decorations. Thinking about all the special things we will do on his special day: birthday meal, birthday activities, etc. etc. I feel all giddy about the whole thing. I don't think I've been this giddy over a birthday since, well, probably since my sixteenth birthday party :).
But amidst all the shopping, and all the giddiness, I see that number one blaring into my face. I see that adorable baby boy quickly transforming into a curious toddler. And I realize my baby is growing up. He's on the verge of no longer a baby and almost a toddler. Is it truly possible that Rivers' baby phase could pass by so quickly?! I swear it was just yesterday that we were anticipating his arrival, and now, like a flash before my eyes, we're celebrating his first birthday - just around the corner.
But amidst all the shopping, and all the giddiness, I see that number one blaring into my face. I see that adorable baby boy quickly transforming into a curious toddler. And I realize my baby is growing up. He's on the verge of no longer a baby and almost a toddler. Is it truly possible that Rivers' baby phase could pass by so quickly?! I swear it was just yesterday that we were anticipating his arrival, and now, like a flash before my eyes, we're celebrating his first birthday - just around the corner.
I know I'm going to love the toddler phase. Although I have adored every square inch of Rivers babyhood, the last month, has been, by far the most fun: The games, the laughter, the words, the tricks, the victories, they have all made life fresh and exciting. I love each second of every day with this kid. And so I'm not so worried about the change, as I am just a little bit sad, sad to see this chapter end.

0 comments:
Post a Comment