Friday, August 19, 2011

Service

Whoa, we look funky! Those self portraits never seem to turn out just right. Forget our heads and notice the temple behind us. . . now that's nice. :)
Anyways, last week Ben and I attended the temple together for the first time in almost a year and a half! It was so nice.
I never realized I suffered from this problem (and always teased my dad and mom because they struggle from it too). But despite my teasing, I think it's extreme - I have the hardest time asking anyone to do anything for me. Heck, even when I'm paying a babysitter, I struggle picking up the phone, and asking for a babysitter. Hence the lack of dates and . . . temple dates Ben and I have had since Rivers entered our little world.
Anyways, when Ben attended the ward temple night alone a few weeks ago, Valerie from our ward insisted she watch Rivers so we could go together. She set the day, the time everything - just what I needed to actually go. Even then, though, I still felt so shy when I dropped him off. I don't know why.
When we came home, Valerie gushed over Rivers talking about all the funny things he would do, and said her kids absolutely loved having him in their home. And she insisted we do it again. It felt so great to talk to her, and feel the sincerity in her comments.
That night we watched Sam, and really enjoyed ourselves, and then last night, our friends Cheyney and Ryan watched Rivers. I haven't felt like I've belonged in my ward or had any friends in my ward much really until now. 
Last night, I was thinking about the way I feel so much closer to both Cheyney and Valerie, just in the past week. And it amazes me how much offering and accepting service opportunities really can strengthen relationships, give confidence, and open yourself up to others. Growing up, whenever I was sad, my mother would always repeat "lose yourself in the service of others, then you will find yourself." Not only is that so true, but allowing yourself to accept service from others, is equally invaluable - and sometimes so much harder. Service is truly a gift from God, that I hope that I can continue to embrace more and more.

4 comments:

Tammy August 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM  

This is so cute! I love service too. It's what makes me happy. I'm so happy you could go to the temple together.

Sam and Melissa August 19, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

Cute post. You've inspired me to get out and do more to meet people in my ward.... I love having friends, but hate making them if that makes any sense. Your last couple posts of Rivers are so adorable. I hope you know how excited you make me to be a mom - you are the cutest mom ever.

The Waits Gate August 21, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

It so true! I suffer from the same thing as you know! Grr... I wish I didn't. Im glad you got to go to the temple together though. It's really good to go, but its better to go together. Miss you as always,
Amelia

mmm... August 22, 2011 at 10:48 PM  

I think I've used those exact same words Melissa! :) haha. And Amelia, I miss you too!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP