Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cookie Monster!

Rivers is Cookie Monster. Not just because he loves cookies, but because he talks like Cookie Monster. I'm not kidding. He really sounds like Cookie Monster. It all began back in September. I bought Rivers some of those "Earth's Best" cookies, featuring Cookie Monster on the cover of the box. Then I started talking to him like Cookie Monster (all the weirdness comes out when you become a parent). When he would sign for more, I would respond like Cookie Monster and say "Oh, one cookie" and then start singing Cookie Monsters song "C is for Cookie, that's good enough for me!"
Well, during nap time, Ben came home and I took off to do something or another, either a gym session, a doctors appointment, another attempt to fix my destroyed hair, a run with Canberra, or errands. Rivers woke up. And they head to the kitchen to snag a snack. Suddenly, Rivers begins growling like Cookie Monster. Ben, not knowing Rivs and my previous conversation, was shocked (maybe a little scarred) and thought "wow, that really sounds like Cookie Monster" he then looks in the snack bin, and long and behold there sat Cookie Monster Cookies.
Ever since then, Rivs has talked like Cookie Monster. For awhile it was just for cookies, but now it's for lots of things. He's our little monster. He has a monster puppet. That Ben had growing up. He grabs his monster and brings it to me. I put it on my hand and start talking monster to him. He frequently brings the monster, some tasty toys to eat, and sometimes he gernerously offers his hand - which always ends in tons of giggles. Anyways, so as you can see, not only does he talk monster frequently, I too talk monster very often. When he speaks monster, I often reply in monster. And we just jabber, usually about nothing in growling voices.
While walking through the grocery store, frantically looking for the canned beans, Rivers suddenly starts growling super loud. I don't think about it at all, until I notice the man studying tortillas look up, slightly scared and very surprised to see a tiny 18 month old boy. I look around for a monster that Rivs sees, and notice a football player with a helmet on. Yes, he definitely looked monsteriesc. Then I find myself standing in a long line. When, once again, my boy begins growling. Automatically we begin our monster jabber. I start asking him silly questions (probably quite loud) in monster and he continues growling and jabbering monster in return. When the middle-aged lady  turns around to look, I don't realize that jabbering in monster is frankly quite weird (until of course we're strolling out of the store, and I think back to her stares and realize, the monster jabber is probably the source).

3 comments:

Unknown December 20, 2011 at 11:22 PM  

I love his monster talk! Yum yum yum!!! I have yet to hear yours though!

life on the move December 21, 2011 at 5:35 AM  

How funny! I'm glad he likes Ben's my pet monster. It was one on his favorites when he was growing up.

Kalista December 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

You're a cute mom! Rivers is lucky to have a mommy who is so fun and playful. I bet Rivers monster talk is adorable.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP