Colorado Springs
I think I live in one of the most beautiful cities in the United States. Springs is surrounded by beautiful mountains and is full of natural variety. It's 10 am on a Tuesday morning, and I can take Rivs on a two hour hike before nap time. Trails are literally 5 minutes from my house. And if I want to go on an 8 hour trail run (which I have not done - but if I wanted to :) I just have to drive. . . 5 minutes. Deer are literally in your backyard. It's not uncommon to pull out of my driveway and see a deer munching on a tree on the other side of the road. Last week as Canberra and I headed out on our run, We walked right past a deer, whom we could pet, if we really wanted to. It's seriously a gorgeous place. And since I've been trail running 5 days a week, I come home every morning and tell Ben, I am in love with this place. To put it simply I think Springs is gorgeous. I am in love with the mountains in my backyard. And I am in love with the fact that we hike constantly here, and yet, there are still so many trails we have yet to discover. The picture at the top, is not an uncommon view. That is just Springs. It is gorgeous.
Anyways, we took Rivs on his first camping trip last Friday night - June 22 (pictures coming soon, and stories coming soon!!!!!). And as we drove back into our home, our normally bright blue skies and clear fresh air, were filled with massive clouds of smoke. I have never seen anything like it. Waldo Canyon was on fire.
I'm pretty use to forest fires, growing up in the west, there always seems to be some fire going on. But this was different. This was so so so close! That night, after putting my little boy to bed, Ben and I went outside and in the pitch dark air, all I could see was an orange moon and bright orange flames covering the mountains that I have fallen in love with. That evening the fire was quickly approaching a beautiful neighborhood full of million dollar homes, and one of my favorite cities, Manitou Springs, was being evacuated.
The air quality was horrible. And living in a house with no A/C we depend on the winds that blow through springs to help us out. But with a two year old, and dense smokey air, we covered the windows and locked them, depending on our two fans to blow air through the house. (Ben went to three different stores to find an A/C unit and they were all sold out.) But my goodness, here I was complaining about being stuck in a dark hot house for days, while people were constantly being sent out of their homes on evacuation orders.
By Tuesday morning, everyone sounded hopeful. The fire was 5% contained. But no one knew what was just ahead of us for that day. You see, Springs is known for our unpredicatable wind storms. And I guess that took even the most experienced firefighter by surprise. After Tuesdays surprise, the chief fire fighter said he has never seen a fire act as crazy as this fire has been. The people living in Mountain Shadows area, had 30 minutes to evacuate their house - many of whom were not even on pre-evacuation. Then the fire spread 3 miles in five minutes. Tripling in size and burning 346 homes, and killing two people.
It seriously feels like a war zone in Springs. There were 30,000 evacuated. So as you drive down the highway, then entire west side of I-25 near Garden of the Gods exit, is black. Not a light to be seen. Not a car on the road. Only police officers patrolling the area. The skies are black. And you see the helicopters and airplanes constantly flying above.
A historic site in Springs - the Flying W Ranch, saw the fire coming. They didn't have time to take all the animals to a shelter, so they "busted through" the cattle gates, to let the animals escape the fire. Amazing as it is, days later, they came through and rounded up all the cattle, then traveled down I-25 hearding the cattle to a stable right by my house. It must have been a sight to see.
After days and days, of staying in the dark hot house, Rivers and I took off to Price, with my good friend Ashley, her son Spencer, and her brand new baby Elizabeth. This entire time Ashley has been on pre-evacuation, and with a new baby the stress of the air quality was just awful. I was already coming to Price the next week for a family reunion, and honestly, I was getting depressed. I know, I am so dependent on sunshine and fresh air, so the invitation was perfect. We had to drive up through Denver since the Highway 24 was closed. So our normally 8 hour drive became a 9.5 hour drive. But all three kids and two dogs did awesome. I seriously cannot get over how great they all were, the entire way! As we drove into Price our hearts sank, as we noticed the big smokey clouds covering our hometown. I kind of felt trapped, to tell you the truth. We couldn't get away from the smoke. Sadly some of the most gorgeous canyons surrounding Price are also on fire. I don't remember Price ever being quite this smokey before. But I've got to say, it's nice being in a house with A/C. And Rivers seems happy. He's just super anxious for his cousins to arrive. And even though the air quality is poor, it's nothing like Springs. So that is nice.
I guess Obama, came to Springs yesterday, to shake the hands of all those who have lost their homes to this devastating fire. I can't describe to you how devastating this fire is. There is a big hole in my heart, for the loss that these people have experienced. It will take years and years for Springs to ever look the same again. The loss is overwhelming. I am so sad for all the animals and all the people who have lost their homes to this fire. I don't know how I am going to handle it the first time I travel the 5-10 minute drive into the place where the Waldo Canyon Fire has destroyed this beautiful place, I now call home. I love Colorado Springs. I cannot say how grateful we are to the firefighters who have gone night and day and night and day trying to protect us, our homes and our beautiful mountains. Tomorrow is fast Sunday. Throughout Utah there is a fast for the Fire Fighters, the weather (that we may be able to receive rain) and to please help us in stopping these fires that are destroying our homes and some of the most beautiful places on Earth. Please keep Colorado and Utah in your prayers, and your fasts. I love my home.
As of this afternoon, the fire in Springs is 30% contained.




1 comments:
I was thinking about you when I first saw this on the news. My grandma lives up in Monument, so she's far enough away not to have been hit and I wondered if you had been. Glad to see you're okay.
Post a Comment