Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer Soccer


23 August 2012 

I can't believe September starts like. . . next week! I think the whole idea is just unreal to me. August has just been go, go, go, go. The month began with Ben completing finals. We had a weekend full of climbing and mountain biking (so needed!) and Sunday morning Ben was off to work at my brother Troy's house, for his two week break. Rivs and I didn't join him, mainly because we have just been in desperate need of long term balance in our life. The summer feels like a constant go, and then try and recuperate and then go again. So we stayed home. The two weeks were long but also busy for the whole family. But without Ben home, things just aren't the same.




The day after Ben came home I ran my Pike's Peak Ascent. And then the next day was Ben's birthday. And then the next day school started. And to tell you the truth with Ben's school schedule things don't feel too much different from when he was working at Troy's house. Between Anatomy, Microbiology, Organic Chemistry, and Cell Biology, Ben pretty much lives at school, either in lecture or studying in the science lab.

Tonight Ben came home early (5:30) so that I could go running. I am craving a run. My legs are aching to climb a hill, breath the fresh late summer air, and get some endorphins moving through my static body. But even more than a run, I was craving a family dinner, all together.  Deciding I would run after dinner, I prepared a big family dinner, complete with all sorts of fresh veggies from our garden, and the first watermelon Ben has grown (It was delicious! So proud of my handsome gardener! :). 





After this delicious, much needed, family dinner, I found Rivers outside hanging on his swing. I went outside in the cool evening air and asked if he wanted to swing on his "blue dragon." He immediately  exclaimed "Yes!" After strapping him and pushing him "Up. Up. Up. Up. And Away!" He stretched out his arms and yelled to Ben (who was still in the kitchen) "Hi Dad!"   "Come out dad."

Ben can never stay away from us too long. And soon he was out admiring Rivers flying skills. That's when Rivers decided enough was enough, and it was time to  get down. Right when his feet landed on the green grass, Rivs exclaimed "soccer ball."





Soccer it was. The whole three of us started in on a major soccer game. Kicking the ball from one end of the lawn to the other. Passing the ball back and forth, intersecting the ball, guarding the goals - jumping up to try and stop the ball from flying in. Often times, Rivers would fall over laughing in delight. Something Ben does, when the two of them are in a battle for the ball just cracks Rivs up. And he can't control himself anymore and falls over laughing. It's so funny.

During the game Rivers will suddenly stop to pick a "wish" (seeded dandelion) and blow it. Or I forget about the ball and chase Rivers and we all roll over in a tickle torture. Ben stops to examine his garden, and the game resumes in full force. Back and forth we kick the ball, running from one end to the other. And Rivs is a tough player!




Of course, the run fell by the way side tonight. And that's okay. Running through the backyard playing soccer and rolling in the grass with the two most amazing boys on Earth, beat anything else in this world. As the sun set, I took advantage of my husband lying in the grass. I quickly found an empty slot between his arm and his waist and snuggled in beside him, lying my head on his shoulder. While little Rivers came running up next me, laid down and held onto my hand. For a few minutes the world just stopped as I held my world right there next to me, and we stared up into the evening sky. No dream can come close to this reality. "You know you're in love, when you can't sleep, because reality is finally better than your dreams." Lying in this little yard next to the big tree, with a tire swing, was everything I have ever dreamed of and more.

1 comments:

Kalista September 18, 2012 at 8:50 PM  

Beautiful post Melanie. I love reading your blog. I'm impressed about your garden!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP