Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pick a Wish


15 August 2012

Today was a beautiful day. It was overcast and 78 degrees. A relief from the, what seemed like, never-ending hot temperatures this summer offered us. We haven't gone to the park a ton this summer, because of the heat. The slides are often scorching hot, and could burn little Rivers delicate legs. But today was different, today was perfect.


We had just come out of the story time at the library, so I decided to take Rivers to a different park than our normal "neighborhood" park. I took him to Bear Creek Park. This is a super fun park, but I normally avoid it because it's typically way crowded. And crowds are tough on little guys. But today, well, today was perfect. The park was nearly empty. Perfect for Rivs and mom to play chase across the play ground, hold hands going down two parrallel slides, race down other slides, and practice monkey bars (which Rivers is rocking - still needs my help, but very little assistance on my part :).


Next to the play ground Rivers spotted a miniature picnic table. Just the right size for him. That's where he decided we would eat lunch. He sits down eats a couple bites of sandwhich than jumps off and runs over to ride the dinosaur. I coax him to come back to the table and eat a couple bites of cantelope, edamame, and an entire packet of fruit snacks. Then Rivers jumps up from the table and orders me (pointing his finger very directly) "stay there mom." And again "mom, stay." And again "stay there." (I wasn't moving a muscle. :) and BTW where did he get this bosyness? I sware I am never this bossy to the little mr. :) But I listened and obeyed. I stayed, and watched Rivers bound off into the field full of seeding dandelions. Then I see Rivs skipping back to me (a super speedy run with a bound every few feet). There he held to dandelions (fully seeded) one in each hand. As he raced towards me he exclaimed "Look mom! One mama. One Ridgers." He handed me my dandelion and I asked "Should we make a wish?" "Wish." Rivers said with his eyes big holding his dandelion and blowing with his lips puckered big and wide. (so funny. You can't help but try and imitate him. :)


After blowing our seeds over the field, Rivers goes skipping off to grab more dandelions, coming back with two more dandelions just waiting for a special wish. This pattern continued maybe 5 times, then it was time to go. After asking to climb on the dinosaur one last time, we took off striding through the field hand in hand. When Rivs asks very sweetly "Mama. Pick one more wish?" We did. And beautiful wishes were made as the seeds floated through the field and Rivers wide blue eyes watched in amazement.





1 comments:

Kyle, Alicia, and Jaxson September 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM  

So fun! I wish we lived by each other so our little boys could play together. Rivers is such a doll! You are such a good mom. I love hearing all the fun stories you guys have. I also LOVE the way he pronounces his own name. ADORABLE!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP