Sunday, September 9, 2012

Sunday Night


12 August 2012

Rivers and I had a glorious evening tonight. It was exactly how I picture the perfect Sunday evenning (except in the perfect world my sweetheart would be home and enjoying the night with Canberra, Rivers and myself ). Rivers didn't awaken from his nap until 6:30pm (simply because he didn't go down until at least 3:30  - long day at church). So with such a late awakening came a late bed time. Which on a quiet, summer evening, that is just fine by me.

The moment we stepped outside the door, it was time to play tag. I chased him from one end of the porch to the other (and my goodness, that kid is getting faster and faster!). And the catch always results in a tickle! I love the way Rivers curls up in a ball wiggling from one side to the other, leaning all his weight on me, as he cracks up from the tickles. Then we ventured further into the backyard, where the catch became flying high into the air and spinning in circles. When Rivs landed on his own two feet again he exclaimed "Ridgers dizzy!"







After playing in the sandbox for awhile, I felt like getting more energy out, and told Rivers, "I want to play tag, and I want to be it!" He started laughing and climbed out of his box, staring me down, then darted across the yard as fast as he could. Only to be caught at the last second. Ending the whole chase in a storm of giggles. He then jumps up and tells me "play ti!" (play it!) and the chase begins again.

We then settled for a glass of water and more sandbox playing. Then Rivs strolls over and begins playing on the tire swing. I couldn't believe all the tricks he was pulling off on that swing. When I finally grabbed my camera, I was afraid the tricks were over, but tonight Rivs was loving the camera, and giving me a regular one man show as I snapped shots of my trickster. :) I was loving it!




Suddenly Rivers needed a snack. I asked him if he would like to take his shirt off and snack on cherries in the grass. He was all for it! (yesterday we attempted this in the park, after purchasing the cherries at the Famers Market - what a mess! So the whole way home - on the bike - Rivers kept saying "no cherries. home. no cherries. home" - no cherries until we're home). When I came out with the colendar full of cherries Rivs was resting against the tree waiting patiently. I sat next to him and we snacked on cherries, enjoying the sunset and the stillness of the evening. Breaking the silence Rivers quietly says "Ridgers, fun at Farmer's." It felt good hearing our excurssion across town by bike was appreciated and remembered the next day. A few minutes later, Rivers points to the sky at a big flock of birds and exclaims "Mom! Hook birds, flying." It was a beautiful evening. I love my little friend. I love the conversations we share.




Before going in Rivers had to take a ride on his "blue dragon." A name, the swing earned after Rivs thourghly enjoyed his first showing of "How to Train your Dragon." I think that might be Rivs favorite movie. Super cute. So now when he swings on his swing, he stretches his arms out wide pretending to fly, and says "Dragon. Blue dragon." It was nice pushing him on the swing, in the cool evening air.  Rivers pointed out the lights of motor city, behind our house, and observed airplanes flying by. For some reason the evening has such a magic to it. I love to share those moments with my little boy.





So Rivers does this hilarious thing when he prays (I so want to take a picture of it, I just don't know how :). But he squints his eyes super tight, and pushes his uper lip toward his nose (I think in an attempt to keep his eyes closed :) and he breathes funny, because it's hard to keep this for the duration of the prayer. He also talks funny when he does it, because of his upper lip. So tonight during prayer, I was in the middle of saying things we were thankful for, when Rivs broke in and completed the prayer for us. I have to share everything I can remember (he said only one word, for most of it, but it all began with "thankful for") (imagine this in a super high pitched, high velocity Rivers voice, but with a few second paus between each, super funny) "dad. toilet. park. kids. canbre. I love Jack. Amen." (Jack, meaning Jack Johnson - Rivers first musical sensation obsession :) (and kids meaning, random kids he plays with at the park). It was hilarious listening to him.


To top the night off, Rivers let me rock him for like 15 minutes! Dozing off in my arms. But continually reminding me to sing "tree song." I'm still not sure what one that is, but my made up versions mixed with "Wonderful World" seemed to suit him just fine.

Oh how I wish I could just snatch onto this little guy and keep him just like this forever! Keep him mine forever! I love every single second with this kid. How is that I am so blessed to get to share this time with such a great kid?!




3 comments:

Tammy September 10, 2012 at 12:08 AM  

I love this post Melanie. So beautiful. And that's funny about how he prays. I love it. Emma closes her eyes very tightly too, and it totally cracks me up. Love it! So beautiful.

The Waits Gate September 10, 2012 at 12:56 PM  

So sweet Melanie! So Sweet!

Kyle, Alicia, and Jaxson September 11, 2012 at 8:16 PM  

So Sweet, I love it!! We are super jealous of your tire swing, how cool!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP