Monday, January 10, 2011

8 months


Last Thursday marked Rivers' eight month birthday! Eight months . .  . no way! I swear he was born just yesterday! But he certainly doesn't think so. The kid is growing. And growing fast. At least when it comes to teeth. He began his 8 month with a mouth filled with approximately 8 pearly whites (yes, Grandpa Bob called it four months ago, but I didn't want to have anything to do with the idea of my baby having eight teeth but month eight. But now that they are here, I can't help but adore each and every one of those pearly whites). He also finished out the month climbing up anything tangible - bookshelves, mirrors, couches, vacuum, boxes, kitchen stools, mom & dad etc. (you get the point). The kid is wild. He doesn't stop moving. (oh, and his speedy army crawl has now evolved into a regular straight up and down regular crawl). With all this movement going oh, I've learned to appreciate night time even more, when I'm able to just hold my baby boy (cuddle him all I want) while I rock him to sound to sleep.
Rivers loves people. I don't know if I can emphasis the word love enough in that sentence. I'm still carrying him in the sleepy wrap when we go to stores etc (although, sadly, I think those days are coming to a close as my little man is growing bigger and bigger). Anyways, I'm still carrying him in the sleepy wrap when we go to stores etc. and Rivers kicks and laughs and flirts with every little lady who comes to say hi. Cashiers are constantly commenting on what a happy baby he is. And people at church frequently say "He certainly isn't shy." In fact, Rivers does all he can to get someone to look at him and give him attention. While waiting at the DMV, Ben and I are sitting on the chairs and there is a line of people behind us. Rivers notices this line, and wants to stand on the chair. He sees an African-American man (I specify the race simply because Rivs takes a special interest African-American people) anyways he's sees this man and his wife, and begins to yell. And he yells, and he yells (in more of a "Hey you! Look over here! " kind of yell). When the man acknowledges him. Rivers stops yelling and breaks out into a hug smile and begins jumping up and down, up and down, up and down on the chair. He won the hearts of every last person in that line. Before long people were stepping out of line to pinch his cheek and touch his hand, all babbling baby talk at my more than satisfied son. Rivs truly is an absolute delight to be around . . . all the time. I wouldn't believe it if you told me, but I never get sick of the kid. Every second I get to spend with him, I'm content. He makes me so happy. I guess it's true: light begets light. You can't help but be happy when your in Rivers presence.
Along with people, Rivs loves love loves dogs. He adores Canbre (and lucky for us she is liking Rivers more and more these days - she even lets him climb in her kennel! You don't understand, no one climbs in Canbre's kennel - that's her cave. But she does let Rivers - thanks to the advice my friend Ashley gave me. Amazing.). Anyways, so we all know he loves Canbre, but she is not the only dog he loves, when we go hiking or to dog parks, Rivers laughs and squeals at every dog he sees.  It's not unusual to have a big, goofy dog, come up to check Rivs out, and gives him a slobbery lick on the foot. This fascinates little man. And he laughs and laughs at the dog. I think in an attempt to get the dog to do it again. But thankfully, most dogs are over the baby and are off sniffing another dogs bum or chasing a slimy ball.
Rivers cousin Emi gave Rivers a CD of her favorite bath time music for Christmas. Oh my goodness, does Rivers love bath time now. He has always been fond of his lounge time in the tub, but the music has created a whole new experience for this little guy. When he hears "Rubber Ducky" playing in the background, he can't help but start splishing and splashing all around his whale tub. Getting out of the tub use to be dreaded by all, but now it is welcomed with giggles and dance moves as we have a family jam out to "Under the Sea" before bed. Boy does he love his post bath dance time.
We had a wonderful month, full of Christmas surprises (hopefully I will be posting those photos soon).  And lots of firsts with little man (first sledding trip, first Christmas, first New Years, first snow fall, first, standing, first Ginger bread cookies, etc. etc). I can't get over how much I love this kid.

4 comments:

janelle January 10, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

Happy 8 months Rivers! What a fun post to read, I feel like I know him.

Dylan outgrew the Sleepywrap. It was a sad day for us. Now we use an Ergo. It was expensve (about $120) but we have definitely got our money's worth out of it! Dylan's actually in it right now, fast asleep on my back. Anyway, I'm not trying to sell you anything. Just letting you know what we went with when it was time to retire our beloved Sleepywrap.

It's nice to read about your family. I hope you all have a happy week!

Luke and Mary January 10, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

I have to tell you I'm holding my 19 month old on my lap and she kept smiling and saying "Hi! hI!" to that cute little guy's picture! it was funny

Tammy January 11, 2011 at 5:58 PM  

Hooray! He's a doll. I'm going to have to try that CD. I'm excited!

Anonymous January 20, 2011 at 6:47 PM  

He sure is growing up fast! It's so cute he has so many teeth already. He's a very handsome boy! This is a great photo of him. :)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP