Thursday, January 27, 2011

sick


This week has been a rough week for our little friend. Monday, he came down with a bad bug: high temperatures, vomiting, diarrhea, you know, "the works." Eating went completely off, and sleeping, well he slept a lot but all off schedule, putting me into a confused panic (I hate playing the guessing game. Schedules are great because you know why when). Anyways, trying to pamper my little friend, I decided, since he needed his rest, I would turn on a movie for him - like I enjoy doing when I'm sick. Just stare at the TV in the middle of the day, and usually fall asleep. Well, Rivers, a whole different story. Rest, my foot. Goodness, that boy thought "Veggie Tales" was something out of this world. He's jumping up and down laughing, crawling over to the TV to try and grab the talking vegetables. 
Maybe it's the fact that he's never really seen TV before. Or maybe it's just the age. Probably the veggies. I don't know. I also don't know how I feel about letting a 8.5 month old watch TV. Not that it will become a habit by any means. I just hope I didn't kill some brain cells that day. I don't know. I'm sure to all the veteran moms reading this blog, it's so blantly obvious this is my first child. But I really do stress about EVERYTHING. I try to be chill with everything, but inside I'm bursting with nervousness. I just  really don't want to mess up. Anyways, today Rivs appears to be doing a little better, although his eating has gone to pot. We've worked so hard to boost up his weight (we've got a very skinny guy on our hands) and now, a week and a half before his doctor's appointment, I think he's dropped a few pounds (okay hopefully not that much, but he does feel significantly lighter). 

Little Rivs sleeping off the bad bug (I've recently allowed his bunny "Baxter" to snooze with him - he loves Baxter. And yes, I know, I am getting brave :)

The Days before Rivers got Sick:
Two of a kind: entranced by our neighbors - The Squirrels

Our little climber

We hung up this mirror on Rivs level. He loves it. Mostly because he can crawl over, climb up and slobber all over his reflection whenever he wants to. He also can't help but burst into laughter whenever I hold his hands and he can see himself walking towards it. I love it because for some reason the slobbery mirror is simply adorable to me. I don't know if I can say it enough, but I love being a mama. 


8 comments:

Breezi@ Not Your Average Fairytale January 27, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

I loved your comment
"You can tell I'm a first time mom"...
Yeah. We were all there.

By the time #4 arrives you'll set the kids in front of the TV just so you can go to the bathroom by yourself.

Talking veggies. It gets you every time.

janelle January 28, 2011 at 12:12 AM  

I read a study that said parents shouldn't expose their children to TV before the age of 2.

I tried, but whatever. I can't shelter him from everything, nor should I. I guess what you have to ask yourself is what it's really hurting.

All I can say is Elmo saved the day, every day, during our trip across the coutry.

Laura Strate-Madsen January 28, 2011 at 12:43 AM  

Sorry Melanie, that has to be horrible experience. Poor little Rivers. I hope he feels better soon.

melisgm January 28, 2011 at 12:44 AM  

Rivers is soo cute!!! I want to meet him! NOW!

Tammy January 28, 2011 at 5:14 PM  

Yeah, I wouldn't let mason watch TV until he was like 15months or so. I was so nervous about it. But, really, I needed a break. Unfortunately, Lily just doesn't like watching TV...darn..a break now and then is nice.

Well, Rivers is adorable. I hope he's feeling better soon. He is looking like a little boy.

Lara January 28, 2011 at 11:02 PM  

Oh, I am so sorry Rivs has been sick! I hope he gets feeling better soon. There is nothing worse than having your baby sick. I am NOT looking forward to that with my girls - can you imagine TWO sick babies?? Ick. Now about the whole TV thing - I wouldn't worry about it. I started Landon at about 11 months so I could introduce him to Baby Signing Time (apparently that is supposed to be prime time to teach signing). At first he didn't like to watch ANYTHING, but eventually he started to watch and fell in love with Signing Time. Now I can't get him away from the TV. We have it unplugged now and I have no intention of plugging it back in! It has been so nice! Anyway, good luck with his recovery - hope he is better soon.

Anonymous January 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

I'm so sorry to hear Rivers has been sick! I've been meaning to call you all week but Torah is actually sick too and you obviously know how life is with a sick baby. I hope all is well soon. I love the pictures of him. He sure is one adorable kid!

Lisa February 4, 2011 at 6:57 PM  

Amen to Breezi's comment! You are a great mama! Hope he's feeling better!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP