Become as a Little Child
Yesterday Rivers and I drove to the Denver Airport to meet up with my sister (during a long lay-over) for lunch. Because Rivs and I were late, as always, and I absolutely love talking to my sister, and Denver has the most ridiculously long lines, Monica missed her flight. (She says I'm bad luck. I probably am. She has never missed a flight in the past 10 years . . . me on the other hand. hmmmm. . . . . okay, it's too many to count. Yes, I must be bad luck.) Anyways, so she missed her flight, and my wish came true . . . we got to spend more time together! Anyways, all this off-timing put Rivers and I in the middle of Denver's rush hour traffic. The AC was not working properly, and we were traveling between 2 and 5 miles per hour for over an hour and a half. Poor poor Rivers, he was hot, hungry, stinky diaper, and just needing to get out of his seat and move those restless toddler legs! After distracting him with Jack Johnson - playing the whole cd "In Between dreams" almost twice, we saw freedom. . . the outdoor outlet mall in Castle Rock! Hooray! We stopped, I changed his diaper, strapped on his monkey backpack and off we went traveling, searching for a big Orange Julius and some grass to play in.
Sadly, I could not find an Orange Julius, so we opted for a lemonade with a slice of pizza and a cucumber salad. I didn't bring Rivers stroller, because one he wanted to run and two, I had left it at home. So there I was in the middle of the crowded food court with two big drinks, a tray of food and a little boy, who needed to be picked up (because however good he is at walking, and that he was on a leash :) he still isn't very good a following, and I would hate to drag my baby over the floor in the food court. So yes, carrying Rivers was a must).
As a mom you get use to being watched constantly. I don't know, I think people just like to observe the baby or how you're really going to juggle everything. Either way, this is the situation I found myself in yesterday, lots of eyes, lots of potentially hazardous stuff (drinks), and a toddler. As I swooped up Rivs, then balanced the drinks I searched frantically for the nearest table. Noticing all the eyes watching us (which always makes me a little shy).
When out of no where I hear a little voice, coming from down near my elbow "May I help you?" I look down to see a six year old Hispanic girl. Her big brown eyes, smiling up at me. "Wow thank you!" I exclaimed. And she carefully took my tray and asked where I would like to sit.
We ended up sitting next to her table. Through the little girls translation, her parents adored Rivers and her little brother told me all about how hard it was to learn English. As the family bid their adieus, handing Rivers some more napkins :), and walked out of the crowded food court, I thought to myself, this is what Jesus meant when he said "Become as a little child."

2 comments:
That is such a sweet post. Isn't it wonderful when people help each other? What a sweet child! Thanks for sharing.
what a sweet little girl! I love that! I'm so glad you got to spend some extra time with your sister.
Post a Comment