Wednesday, October 12, 2011

The Itsy Bitsy . . .

Spider!




Yep, we found more and more and more of them! Tons of black widows in our creepy basement! I was so freaked out by these shiny black beauties, that I couldn't sleep last night. I kept having all sorts of nightmares about them crawling around me and my sweet little Rivers. So, first thing this morning, Rivs and I took a trip to Wal-Mart to buy Raid.

Tonight, before execution, I took some pictures. Too scared of hidden spiders, I refused to get into any unusual positions or get any closer to the spiders to get a good shot - in an attempt to prove it was a black widow (you just got to trust me on this one, the red hour glass was there). Anyways, there's just something extra depressing about taking a picture of your soon to be victim. I often fall in love with my subject, build a little relationship with it, as I search for all it's good and beautiful qualities. And the spiders are simply gorgeous. So right after chasing them around, shining flashlights, and shooting shots, Ben pulled out the Raid. And asked, "are you ready?" Am I ready? These are my little friends now. How could I possibly kill them? 

I've decided with execution I'm all for the firing squad. None of this sit around and suffer stuff. I didn't think about that, when I bought the raid. I bought some "natural" raid. Some kind without as many harsh chemicals. Anyways, let's just say it was not instant. Ben and I were feeling so bad, as those spiders were running everywhere. Hiding in holes, just like bomb shelters, as we blew up their world. Before long the black beauties were struggling to hold themselves up, even with eight legs to support them, but they continued on.  All the while Ben and I  continually spray them, in an attempt to finish them off.  The whole time, I just wanted to stop. But I had to keep reminding myself of all the black widow bite symptoms I read about on wikipedia, in an attempt to comfort my guilty feelings.

As we sat upstairs this evening, eating our freshly grilled dinner, our thoughts returned to the spiders. Ben mentioned, he had this creepy feeling, that the black widows would come back for retribution. I said, that means one of two things, either he's been around me too long, or it's a warning, a sign, they will be back. Wish us luck.

. . . HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

2 comments:

Unknown October 13, 2011 at 11:06 AM  

Yikes! I love hearing about how sensitive you are to the little creatures.

Jamie and Tom October 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM  

That picture is amazing! I'm amazed you were able to get it! I would have flipped out first thing upon seeing that monster.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP