Monday, October 10, 2011

pumpkin picking


It's that time of year again folks! My number one favorite tradition in the Matthews' Home. . . Pumpkin Picking! Is this really the fourth pumpkin picking post I've done? It is?! Crazy. Time goes way to fast when you're having fun. This is Rivers second time in the patch (well, third if you want to count the time I threw up in the field :), anyways, and I think it was his favorite time! He had an absolute blast. So since I've told you about pumpkin picking the last three years, Rivs is going to tell you about this adventure.
A bumpy ride to find a perfect pumpkin.
 Dad took me for a wild ride inside a wagon. It was fun and all, but as soon as I spotted that tower of hay bales, with a slide, yes a slide going down, I was exiting that wagon. I climbed the hay bales all by myself.  . . . well, dad helped, just a little. Then I got down, turned around and slid down the black hole, into a huge pit of corn kernels. I tried to eat them - the way I do when mom cuts them up for me and sets the on my tray, but for some reason, mom called these kernels "gross" . . . women, so hard to understand.  


After sliding down the slide, like one hundred times, I noticed something, what could it be? Could it be a "cow"? It was, it was! It was a baby cow! Oh I have always wanted to touch a baby cow! I ran over as fast as my little legs would carry me.
When mom finally caught up, she asked me "What do cows say?" (Hey! I know what cows say! I read about this in my books!) so I answered (with a shy but very distinct) "moo."  And for some reason, giving the correct answer, made everyone watching me say "awe he's so cute." I love hearing that! :) So I gave them one more "moo." Just for kicks. :)



I also found chicks, but I think they bit my finger - although, I'm brave, so it didn't bother me. And I found the sweetest and cutest little baby rabbit, who just kept kissing me. Oh how I love that baby rabbit. I wish so much I could take him home with me!

And then, in the middle of adoring my baby rabbit, what did I see? Dad and Canberra disappeared into that great big wall of corn stalks. Awesome! Of course I was right on there tails, ready to play peek-a-boo any minute!  

The corn maze, was amazing! I ran and ran and ran to my hearts content. Every once in a while,  I disappeared off the path and into the corn, making mom just a little bit nervous as she raced to the other side . . . where I would always show up! We played peek-a-boo, tag, and the mystery game, as we got more and more lost in the crazy corn maze!


My favorite part may have been all the mud I found. Lots and lots and lots of mud. Mud to slip in, mud to slide in, mud to stomp in and mud to dance in.


 I loved all that mud and I loved the corn maze! I wish I had a corn maze to get lost in every afternoon!  



Then it was time to get serious, the sun was going down, and mom said it was nearly past my bed time (I don't know what she's talking about, because I was feeling great!), but we still had two perfect pumpkins to choose!

I liked every pumpkin I could touch, but my most favorite, were the tiny colorful gourds in a basket. Mom said, they were not for sale. Just decoration . . . whatever that means! I thought they tasted wonderful! So mom settled on the ugly bumpy pumpkin, and dad chose the flawless pumpkin, and I drove the wagon.


well, dad helped, just a little. . . .

While Dad was buying the pumpkins I found some more pumpkins that I liked. They were different than all the rest. Mom called them "Albino Pumpkins." Maybe next year, I'll chose an "Albino" to carve, instead of a miniature gourd. Who knows. . . .


And then of course Mom needed a photo shoot in the pumpkin display, before we could go find food. Thank goodness Canberra and I are such good sports!


And then, a nice man jumped out of his truck and told dad to join the crew. . . .  more photos of me, hooray.


Right about now, my stomach began to growl, so off  we went to Big Burger World. The best hamburgers in the world. Well, that's what mom says and she doesn't even like Hamburgers, but dad agreed they were "pretty good" so I guess they're good. I didn't care too much for the burgers though, because frankly, that pumpkin shake was intoxicating. I couldn't help myself, I just gobbled nearly half of it all down - of course, I cheated and covered most of my face and half of my clothes in shake. The girls at the counter thought I was cute. Mom says clean little boys are cute, but I obviously know best. :)  


I guess I was tired, just a little, because I don't really remember anything after the shake. Just, somehow, magically being home, in my little room, getting tucked in by mom and dad. What a day. Now, I can't wait to figure out what all this jack-o-lantern stuff is all about! Guess I'll sleep on it. Good night!

2 comments:

Mel October 12, 2011 at 9:23 PM  

Cute post mel!

Tammy October 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM  

What an adorable post!!! I want to copy it:)

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP