Thursday, March 15, 2012

Runners. Yeah, we're different


At the end of January, I started looking up. Making goals, dreaming. One of my dreams was a race I had to kill myself to train for. It's a weird thing, the way your body can stay at certain levels. Even though I was more than a little out of shape last fall, Ben and I were able to complete a half-marathon without any training. Yes, it's nice and all. But truthfully, it sucks to be at the starting line knowing you didn't train, and why race without training? The training is what it's all about. The race is just the motivation, the excitement, the push to push you further and harder than you thought possible. So I am always extremely disappointed when I find myself in a situation where I've paid the money and then not put my heart and soul into the race to do the very best that I could do.


My sister Monica, invited me to join her and some of her other insane San Francisco buddies on the Wasatch 100. Here's an email from one of Monica's friends, encouraging me to join the crazy bunch:



Hi Melanie!  It's Monica's friend Ryan.  She told me tonight that you might sign up for the Wasatch 100 with us.  I said, 'Yaaaaaayyyyyy!!!'.  You should.  I know what you are thinking.  Two weeks ago I thought it was NUTZ when they were talking about it and Monica told me I should sign up.  But then I thought what the heck....if it gets me to run more than 26.2 miles I'll have set a new PR....I don't have to finish....I might not even get in.  I also read the website and it's the coolest course I've ever heard of.  And even if we don't finish, it will get us in great shape.  Oh....Monica wanted me to be sure to tell you that my Big Sur Marathon took me over five hours. In other words, most 68 year old men beat me.  You should sign up and I'll make sure Monica pays your entry fee:)  Hope to see you soon...and on the trail.



Totally encouraging right?! And when you check out the site it's even more encouraging. But then I thought: right now, I'm in the market and craving the need to be victorious. And 30 miles is definitely victorious. But the mere fact of dropping out, my fragile emotions couldn't handle that.  I decided I needed to do a race full of exhaustion, possibly vomit, dripping in sweat and finish it feeling victorious.  So even though, I really want to go cheer Monica on in September, I may enjoy the sidelines, and packing my little boy in the Deuter for a nice 20 mile hike, trying to catch glimpses of my extraordinary sister completing a 100 mile run (and her second ultra-marathon)! Monica is truly amazing!



So since I decided, it was virtually impossible for me to run 100 miles this summer, I started searching elsewhere. I was really in the market for an ultra-marathon. But ultra being more along the lines of a 50K (31.1 miles). When my searches weren't finding what I was looking for, I decided to go local. That's when I searched up Pikes Peak Ascent and Marathon. I read the description, and I felt a sudden wave of excitement rush through my body. This was precisely what I was looking for. What I need. I'm only doing the half marathon. But everyone says, to complete the half-marathon, you will be looking at your marathon times - yes, this race takes double the time! It's straight up! I couldn't register for another month and a half. But ever since that afternoon, I have been dreaming about the Pikes Peak Ascent. When I drive down Pikes Peak Avenue, and look up at the glorious 14er, awe strikes me, and another wave of excitement runs through my anxious body. I cannot wait!


So today was registration day! Right after putting my little buddy down for a nap, I got online and registered! (Right now I'm bursting with excitement). After registering I went back to the Race Website and reread the description. Rereading it, made me chuckle to myself, as I remembered my favorite Adidas adds, back in high school, when I had my personal subscription to Runner's World. "Runners. Yeah, we're different." So here's the opening page to my August race. And this is suppose to attract people? Yes, Runner's are definitely different.


A Journey to the Top and Perhaps Back
The Pikes Peak Ascent® and Pikes Peak Marathon® will redefine what you call running. Sure, they start out like a lot of races on Any Street, USA. But your first left turn will have you turning in the direction of up! During the next 10 miles, as you gain almost 6,000 vertical feet, your legs, lungs, heart and mind will be worn to a ragged nothingness. But it won’t be until the next three miles, with still over 2,000' of vertical to go, that you will realize where the Marathon got its moniker—America’s Ultimate Challenge.
There’s a reason trees don’t bother growing above 12,000' on Pikes Peak. They can’t! Makes one wonder if trees are smarter than runners. Above treeline most runners take 30 minutes or more, some much more, just to cover a mile. What little air remains can’t satisfy the endless stream of zombies hoping only to survive their next step. It’s a death march right out of a scene from Dawn of the Dead. Adding insult to injury it might start to snow!
It’s at this point if you are on the deluxe tour you must turn around and run back down the mountain for the second half of the Marathon. Along the way protruding rocks and roots are waiting to send you crashing to the ground mangling flesh and only temporarily masking the pain of blood filled blisters. Meanwhile, the temperature has often risen by more than 30 degrees since the start of the race. After all, it’s always best to cook raw meat.



Yeah, super funny huh? I love this description. You feel like you're already running the trail. For some reason, I can't wait. Anyways, here's one more add. Just to make you laugh . . . and feel a little uncomfortable. :) If my mom followed my blog, today she may tell me "Melanie, that's terrible." So, I'm sorry. But you gotta' admit, the adds are pretty funny.






4 comments:

Tammy March 15, 2012 at 6:36 PM  

The ads me make laugh. Oh my goodness. It reminds me of the old cross country days. I love runners, especially my sisters. But I think I'll stick to my 5Ks/10Ks. I love the photo of the pregnanct mom running while pushing a baby stroller. Good luck Melanie. Let me know what happens. I would love to fly up and cheer you on. Keep me posted on the details.

The Butler Clan March 15, 2012 at 7:06 PM  

My good friends Becca and Jen ran it last year. They loved it! You will really love it too. I plan on joining you the next summer if you survive this summer's (yeah, I'll let you test it first, I'm not ashamed to admit it.) Plus, I don't want to hold you up...you are too fast for me! I'll strive to be in your glorious presence next summer, it is a goal worth fighting for!

Laura Strate-Madsen March 20, 2012 at 5:37 PM  

Congrats on the race! If anyone can survive running Pike's Peak, it's you. ;) Those ads made me giggle. Oh the joys of racing!

chelsea mckell March 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM  

Love this post :) Best wishes for happy running/racing!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP